A few weeks ago, my sister’s and I got together to make a batch of homemade chapstick for the summer. I posted this photo on Instagram and Facebook, sharing what we were up to. And I got an overwhelming response asking how I make it, what ingredients to use, and where I buy all my ingredients. So at long last, here is my homemade chapstick recipe!
This is my favorite chapstick I have ever tried. It’s so smooth, smells amazing, and is so soothing for chapped lips! This recipe is really easy to make. It only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish and you can 25 chapstick’s at once (or more!) which will last you forever!
I really like to make these and give them out as gifts and share with my friends. It sounds impressive to make your own chap stick and it’s actually really really easy!
Here’s my video on how to make your own chapstick (and you can see the recipe below). And if you are wondering where I got my adorable apron, it’s from Flirty Aprons – my #1 go to place for adorable and high quality aprons! Here’s the one I’m wearing in the video: Frosted Cupcake Apron
Homemade Chapstick Recipe
Prep time: 1 Minute | Total Time to Make: 10 Minutes | Makes: About 20-25 Tubes
- 3 TBSP Beeswax (I get mine from the Bulk Herb Store or Amazon)
- 2.5 TBSP Olive Oil (I get mine from Costco or Amazon)
- 2 Tsp Coconut oil (I get mine from Costco or Amazon)
- 2 Tsp Cocoa Butter Wafers (I get mine from Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1/2 Tsp Vitamin e oil (I get mine from VitaCost or my local drug store)
- 4 drops of Peppermint essential oil – Lavender also works well (I use doTerra brand)
Note: If you place your first order for Vitacost through this link, you can get $10 OFF your first order!! woohoo!
Watch my video above for a step by step demonstration.
1) Combine the first four ingredients (beeswax, olive oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter wafers) in a clean glass jar.
2) Fill a small pot half full of water. Place your glass jar with the ingredients in the pan of water. Gently heat on low until the coconut oil, cocoa butter wafers, and beeswax is all completely melted. This usually takes about 8 minutes. Note: Heat this mixture slowly. Do not allow the water to come to a boil as this could cause your glass jar to break and shatter.
3) Remove from heat and with your dropper, fill each chap stick container until full.
4) Let sit for a few hours and then place the cap on each chap stick container. And congrats! You have healthy, homemade chap stick!
If you have any questions about making your own chapstick, leave me a comment and I’ll answer as best as I can!
Read more about home remedies & natural cleaning:
- Stocking a Natural Medicine Cabinet (complete with video)
- Where to Buy Natural Ingredients for Home Remedies
- An Introduction to Essential Oils
- Essential Oils Resources
- My top 10 Favorite Essential Oils
- Why we use cloth diapers