Are you stuck in a meal planning rut? Or struggling with healthy breakfast ideas? You are not alone!! Listen in to today’s episode as we share some tips and tricks for meal planning and breakfast!
Listen to the Podcast:
We also recorded this blog post as an audio podcast. If you want to listen in instead of reading, click play below or do a combination of both
And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
Help in the Kitchen!
QUESTION: “Help! My kitchen is starting to feel overwhelming. My husband and I are starting to realize that we have been progressively getting worse and worse with spending waaaay over what we should on food because we are eating every meal out practically, except for sometimes making bacon and eggs at home. So after talking about how we’ve been pulling constantly from our savings account just to cover our spending habits, we know we need to get better it’s just so hard when that’s what we’re so used to and also when everything we TRY to cook at home often gets thrown away because it’s terrible LOL. And my main question I wanted to ask is, breakfast is the one thing I’m starting to struggle with most because every option is either super sugary, super processed, or super greasy/unhealthy (we’ve been eating bacon every day and it’s going to be hard to get my husband off of it!). I hate oatmeal, and I’ve tried it and tried it, and I’m still trying to get myself to like it but he also hates it and won’t eat it. Any healthy ideas?”
My journey in the kitchen
You are certainly not alone in this struggle! I came into marriage with absolutely no practical kitchen or cooking skills. We had many food flops in the early days of our marriage and ate lots of frozen burritos while I figured out what I was doing in the kitchen!!
Now a days, most women don’t learn how to cook and manage a home before they get married. So if you are like me, then you get thrown in marriage and realize how little you actually know. It can be tough (especially when you feel like everyone else knows what they are doing)!
Kitchen & Breakfast Resources:
- Money Saving Mom: She is currently doing a $70 a week grocery budget challenge and I love her simple and easy recipes she shares!!
- Learn how to Freezer cook! Money Saving Mom has wonderful freezer cooking resources. I also have some great freezer cooking resources here.
- The Humbled Homemaker has a great 5 day Eating Well on a Budget eCourse!
- Great recipe ideas: Don’t Waste the Crumbs (especially her breakfast ideas) and Traditional Cooking School also has a great resource for recipe index.
- Don’t be afraid of eating eggs all the time! This is our main breakfast staple
- Get creative with oatmeal dishes!
- oatmeal bakes
- Make Ahead Refrigerator Oatmeal!!!! <— Amazing!
- Breakfast Burritos
And lastly, don’t be afraid to keep it simple!