When I got married, I jumped in with two feet. I made every possible change one could make in their life. My husband was a widow, and so I also got the privilege of being a new mom. I moved from my home state of Florida, to a new state where I knew no one but my new family. I quit working and was a SAHM. I even was a deacon’s wife! Life had totally just taken me for a wild ride – and I was holding on for dear life! During that time, God really showed me how important it was to have great resources for answering questions! So, I started looking for books and websites that would teach me about my new roles. Here are just a few of the ones that I found.
1) The Word of God. No, I am not just being cliche and feeling like I have to have this as my number one resource- it truly was my number one resource! I know that EVERYTHING there is to know in life - every question I will ever have- is answered in the Word of God. So, I began studying. I mean, digging in, diagramming, and searching out scripture. I also found Good Morning Girls, a place where I could be accountable and have a daily reading plan for each day! I was growing with the Lord in ways I never had before!
2) Prayer- I learned I was going to need to pray like never before! I had a whole new list of people to pray for – and a whole new list of temptations and weaknesses to pray about! I have always been taught the most effective way to pray is to pray God’s Word back to him, and so, I got the book “Praying God’s Word” by Beth Moore. Beth had always been an inspiration to me, and I loved her teaching. This book was no different. In the book, she gives fourteen things that as women, we may need to over come. This book was so great for me. I also found Time Warp Wife – and she has prayer cards for praying for my husband, kids, and even teaching your kids to pray.
3) I learned I needed to walk in virtue – and to daily put on the spirit. I had two books that came into play here. A Woman’s High Calling, by Elizabeth George was the first one I came across. She has 10 essentials (or virtues) for Godly living. These 10 things really helped me as I began my pursuit of being a godly wife and mom. The next book I found, which was more recent, was Time Warp Wife’s! She recently wrote a book called The Virtuous Life of a Christ-Centered Wife! IT has 18 wonderful lessons on Virtues that have really helped me grow even closer in my walk with the Lord. I was convicted that I am teaching these virtues to my kids – and that they will learn them as they see them! She also includes a SOAP pattern for digging deeper into God’s Word.
4) In the category of being a good wife, I picked up Unveiled Wife’s book, Wife After God. What a great book about growing closer to the Lord and your husband. This book was done in a 30 day devotional style. Each day had a prayer and a challenge- and I was very challenged by them! I wrote many of the prayers on index cards and would carry them with me for daily meditation. The book was beautifully written and gave me lots of insight on loving God and my husband the right way.
5) Women Living Well is the name of the last book, and it was done by Courtney from Women Living Well. This book talks about all the areas that women need to live well in: from our personal walks with God, our parenting, our role as a wife and as a homemaker. There are some great, practical ideas in this book for everything from how to have a quiet time, to how to plan meals! This book has been such an encouragement for me, and it is written in a very down to earth and friendly manner. I feel like I am sitting across the table from Courtney, having coffee.
I hope this list gives you some great ideas on some resources on how to better yourself in the role that God has placed you in! Serve and Worship Him well!